Monday, September 26, 2011

Places May Change But Memories Stay Forever!

When you share special moments at one specific place, the scenes are recorded in your mind like a movie.  Every time you visit or pass by this place, the memories come back and you have the opportunity to live them again. You remember persons, noises, smells, and tastes.  The place is the setting and helps refresh your emotions and experiences.

Today I passed by Kilometer 18 of the Road to El Salvador.  Suddenly, it all came back to me.  The place was different, but the memories were in my mind and heart.

Eleven years ago, Jamaril Club & Spa was conveniently located at Kilometer 18 of the Road to El Salvador Road.  The Club had more than enough parking spaces to accommodate its members.  It was unique in Guatemala.  You had to buy a membership and you could select the following:

1. Over 10 fitness classes, towel service, beautiful wood lockers, a steam room at the locker rooms and massage therapy rooms, and the most complete training and cardio equipment for your fitness classes.

2. Use of six luxurious pools.  They were all heated and open all year long for lap swimming, free swimming, and swimming classes. 

3. The Club offered Tennis and Golf classes.  My grandpa chose Golf classes and I liked to see him with all his equipment.  I used to stick my dolls in his bag.  He explained to me that I should not do that because his bag weighed more and he played for a long time.

4. The Club provided child care. In that area, babies from 4 months to 3 years old received attention.  They encouraged them to explore and discover the world of movement and senses.  My parents used to take my little sister while they worked out.

The Club developed a concept for every child. They had a Baby Club, Petit Club, and Mini Club.  Each one included several activities and adventure games.  For me, the most important and most fun area was the playground.  My grandparents and I liked to go to the playground because they could relax while I was entertained.  It included different designs of painted houses, sand pits with mini excavators, seesaws, slides, springy jeeps, and swings.  My grandparents used to sit on the benches with picnic tables.  At the playground they served hot and cold drinks, a variety of sandwiches, shakes, ice cream, cotton candy, and popcorn.  My grandpa usually ordered Supreme Cheese Nachos with Roasted Chicken.  We visited the Club every weekend.  There was always something exciting awaiting us. 

One morning, my parents went to work out and it was closed.  The Club shut down on a weekend without warning.  They saw a fence installed around the site with signs that read: “Private, Keep Out”.  A statement on the entrance to the Club read, “Jamaril Club & Spa is now closed”.  My parents came home very disturbed.  How did this happen! My mom called my grandpa and told him about the signs.  He was the titular member, but he had not received any notice regarding Jamaril’s imminent closure.  When all the members found out about the situation, they were disappointed and furious. This meant they would lose the investment they made in the Club.  Around fifty people employed by the Club were out of a job now.    

The bad news continued to spread around.  My grandpa said that he was not only a member of the Club, but an investor as well.  He lost a lot more money than the price of a membership. He felt so sad.  He had trusted dishonest people.  At that time, I did not understand what was happening.  I just knew that the place where I enjoyed going was closed forever!  Remember, this happened ten years ago, I was only six years old.

The dishonest owners had sold the building and the land and left Guatemala.  The new owners ignored the financial situation of the Club and their statement was the following: “Our negotiation was legal and clear”.   Six months later, they divided the Club in three areas and sold it.  My family knew that was the end.  We all supported my grandpa and decided to get over it and not mentioned it anymore for my grandpa’s sake and health.  If one of you experienced a similar situation, you would understand how bad the family felt.  We had a strong relationship and were very close.  My family always focuses on the good things, learns lessons from the bad things, and never gives up!

The Club was transformed.  Now you can see a prestigious gym, two luxury condoms, and a school.   I have friends who live in that neighborhood.  When I was invited to their houses, I did not see the new constructions as we drove by, I could only think of the many happy, amazing, and special moments I lived there.  I shared and enjoyed a lot of memories with my family there, especially with my grandpa, who has passed away.  At this Club, my grandpa and I created one of the most unique special places to connect with each other no matter the difference of age.

At this place I spent a wonderful time during my childhood with my dear grandpa. If you have lost a grandparent you can understand my deep sad feelings for him.  The Club was definitely not there anymore, but my memories and my grandpa’s love will always be in my heart.  I love you Grandpa!